The 2014 Super Bowl will feature many well-known Christian athletes including the starting quarterbacks for both teams: Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson. You can read about Manning’s faith here and watch an interview with Russell Wilson and several of his teammates here. Here are a few discussion questions for the video “Jesus is better than the Super Bowl.”
1. What impressed you about the responses to Pastor Mark’s question, “Who is Jesus?”
2. What do the players mean by “Jesus is everything.”
3. In what ways is Jesus better than the Super Bowl? What did Pastor Mark mean by “You give the worst and get the best?”
4. Coach Seto said Jesus makes life awesome even if they lose the Super Bowl. What does this tell you about his view of sports?
5. The best source for answering the question ‘Who is Jesus?’ is found in the Bible. Read and discuss.
Jesus is GOD
There is a lot of confusion today about who Jesus was. Many people think he was a wise teacher or great prophet. Others think he was crazy. Jesus said, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). He claimed to be God in human flesh. C.S. Lewis said, “You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to” (Mere Christianity [Macmillan, 1952], pp. 40-41).
Jesus is the SAVIOR
Jesus is the only one who can forgive our sin and transform our lives. He delivers us from the power and penalty of sin: “There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved”(Acts 4:12). The Bible says, “There is none righteous, not even one; there is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; all have turned aside, together they have become useless; there is none who does good, there is not even one” (Romans 3:10-12).
Print this Page