The gospel is the center of what we believe as Christians. If someone asked you to explain the gospel, how would you explain it? What is the problem? What is the solution? (Check out Romans 3:10–26 or 1 Corinthians 15:3–4.)
- What is an example of turning sports into something ugly? What made it this way?
- C.J. Mahaney claimed that most Christian athletes play sports without being either theologically informed or evaluating their performance biblically. Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Word definition: “Theological” – The study of the nature of God and religious truth; A system or school of opinions concerning God and religious questions
- Read John 12:43, “They loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.” This group of people who were following Jesus decided to submit to the pressure of the religious leaders and stop following Jesus rather than face persecution and peer pressure. What does it look like to love the glory of God in sports more than the glory that comes from men?
- Mahaney’s sermon is titled “Don’t Waste Your Sports.” What does it mean to waste your sports? What are some recent examples from sports?
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:31. “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” How does this verse apply to sports?
- How can sports begin to function as an idol or god in our lives? How does our society elevate sports to worship? What impact does this have on athletes and coaches?